The internship program is designed for current undergraduate students with the goal of being a leader in the non-profit sector.
The purpose of the internship program is to help undergraduate students further cultivate their skills through a real-life work experience.
The goal of the Make-A-Wish New Mexico internship is to help the intern gain skills and experiences such as the ability to organize work, communication skills, project management, and an understanding of a federated non-profit organization.
Internships are available during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Applications are accepted and reviewed during a rolling basis. Interns are expected to work a minimum of 10 hours per week during a 12 to 16 week period. Some internships are also available for course credit (contingent upon university approval). Please, note that all internships through Make-A-Wish® New Mexico are unpaid.
Qualified applicants should posses strong written and oral communication skills, working knowledge of the Microsoft Suite, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Applicants should have the ability to handle multiple tasks, possess strong organizational skills, and demonstrate maturity and responsibility within a business environment.
Make-A-Wish New Mexico utilizes accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn. The Social Media intern will serve to further advance MAWNM’s presence online. The Social Media Intern will work closely with our lead social media liaison to ensure timely and relevant material is published. Responsibilities for the Social Media Intern include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create and publish content on all social media outlets.
- Utilize national resources to support ongoing campaigns.
- Ensure new content is uploaded daily.
- Partner with Program Department for wish related content.
- Partner with Development Department for fundraising related content.
- Research best practices for non-profits online.
- Work closely with lead social media liaison.
Make-A-Wish New Mexico grants over 100 wishes per year, which involves constant communication with Wish Families, vendors and volunteers across the state. The Wish Intern will support the Program Department with various wish activities and projects as well as provide general assistance and office support. Responsibilities for the Wish Intern include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create packets to be sent to Wish families and volunteers.
- Request in-kind donations and services for wishes.
- Conduct Wish Evaluation surveys with Wish families.
- Participate in Wish Enhancements/Parties.
- Prepare related materials for upcoming wishes.
- Assist with volunteer and donor related recognition.
- Support the Program Department in various tasks.
Make-A-Wish New Mexico is involved with over 60 events per year, including a large gala every spring. We work with multiple individuals and corporations to raise over $1.7 million annual. The fundraising intern will have the opportunity to work with schools, individuals, and businesses across the state to support the development efforts. Responsibilities for the Fundraising Intern include, but are not limited to the following:
- Write “Thank You” cards.
- Make “Thank You” calls to organization supporters.
- Solicit in-kind donations for events.
- Compile supplies for events.
- Assist with large mailings.
- Partner with Operations Coordinator to assist with Kids for Wish Kids events.
- Apply for grants online.
- Support the Development Department in various tasks.
To apply for an internship, potential candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Sydney Graczyk at firstname.lastname@example.org
or fax (505) 232-0678. No phone calls please.